Sunday, November 18, 2012

In memories of those lost.....

I first know him during my first day in college, being assigned to share the same hostel under the same unit. Those are the days before he was sick, when he first enter university, with dreams and a future to pursue. Perhaps it was fate that made us housemates and friends as being in different courses means there were really very limited opportunity to know each other, let alone to live together.

He was always this very calm, slow and smiley guy. Infact, I have never seen him being angry before, perhaps the time we had was limited as we parted in the second semester to different units. My deepest recall about us would be that end of semester when the college suddenly had a house cleaning competition, he came to me saying that we should clean our house inside out in a determined tone.

Not only every inch was flushed and sterilized, he also started decorating every corner of our unit, carpeted the living room, adding door mat to the front door.......and so much more we did together. Fair enough, we won third place after the judging. I remember he loved to just sit on the carpet in the living room, studying for his exams, finishing his assignment, or just chit chat with us. Always in that slow, soft and gentle tone. You can hardly be annoyed or offended by such a great tempered man.

And then I heard he was sick, he had cancer of the lung and he stopped his studies to receive treatment. Shock and disbelieve flooded me as I could not imagine such a healthy young man, only in his early 20's without any detrimental habits, howcome?! We didn't manage to keep in touch much as he went to Guang Zhou to receive his treatment soon. During the day when he was still in Malaysia, I texted him few times, but as usual with that calmy reply I was reassured.

One day about 2-3 years ago, he called me after finishing his treatment, saying he would like to pay a visit to my new unit. He came up not empty handed, but with souvenir and gifts! He brought a simple tea set for me and also a pack of dry Chrysanthemum for the tea....I can't believe he still remembers my everyday habit of brewing tea in the morning. Most of the time we would even drink tea together back then. "This would be easier for your tea brewing I hope" I was just touched and thankful that I had such a great friend.

I was told that the tumour was temporarily contained, that it will recur anytime. Then he would really die any moment, as simply as carrying a time bomb in his body. These were words that sounded so shocking yet in his mouth, it sounded so optimistic, with totally nasty sense of humour! That was my expression when those were told to me that time. "We should really hang out and have a dinner or what someday, just few of us  old housemates, just for old times" He said that before leaving. But that never came, as I guess I taken his words for granted. I never thought that would be the real last time we ever talk in disclose. As after that, even if we passed face to face, it would always be in a hurry, merely a 'hi' and 'bye' with simple greeting, no details.

I heard he was able to smile to his visitors on his dead bed, the always optimistic and smiley guy. I would missed those crooked and off pitched tune he sang, the day when he played with my guitar, and those nights when we had pillow talk together......He never tells a shit about how short is life and lecturing about how we should lived our life to the fullest, he just LIVED them! Compare to those who are healthy and active but pretended to be sick or needing attention, he never seek for such cheap care. That is my memories of this friend of mine, the joy, calmness and happiness he brought to people around him. I know we will all miss him, and the world could really use with a few more of such great man! Rest in peace........


Photobucket




Photobucket




Photobucket




Photobucket 

4 comments:

AJ said...

sorry to hear that,cheer bro!
btw,i like the 'someone who is not sick,pretend to be sick'
jit an xun bin bah

from:AJ

X'tra Large said...

I am referring to myself oso

YL said...

Today I visited my cousin's funeral who was only 33 years old and he passed away due to gastric cancer..So unbelievable as how come a young healthy guy can just passed away so sudden.We can't predict what will happen in future, so enjoy every moment that we going through~~~

X'tra Large said...

true....even d last moment of his life,weikeat was still as calm n optimistic as ever...i guess no one has d right 2 say their life sucks!